The European Pancreas Center in Heidelberg is one of the world’s leading centers in the area of pancreatic diseases. We are able to offer the very highest level of treatment thanks to our highly qualified staff and the most modern technical equipment available.
Every year, we treat more than 2,000 patients and perform more than 500 surgical procedures for pancreatic diseases.
Prof. Dr. Markus W. Büchler
Our goal is to provide you with our know-how and the benefit of our long years of experience in interdisciplinary collaboration in Heidelberg, all under one roof. A large team of specialized physicians assures you of comprehensive care and the best possible outcomes of treatment. All of the departments are located near each other, and diagnostic services, surgery, oncological and medical treatment, as well as nutritional counseling and psychosocial services, are discussed by the team and coordinated in the best interests of the patient.
- Experienced radiologists perform diagnostic procedures using the most modern, cutting-edge technologies.
- Specialized physicians perform the full range of standard endoscopic investigations and therapeutic interventions.
- In addition to standard operative procedures, our highly trained surgical team also routinely performs complex surgical interventions adapted for specific illnesses as well as multivisceral resection procedures, some of them developed here and studied in international clinical trials.
- Specialists in gastroenterology and interventional endoscopy support diagnostic and therapeutic medical interventions, without surgery whenever possible.
- Oncologists and radio-oncologists treat all malignant diseases with state-of-the–art treatment methods and offer participation at clinical national and international trials which assess the latest developments in cancer management.
- Engaged nursing personnel and dietitians support the patient in every imaginable situation.
The center’s intensive involvement in ongoing research means that it is always at the forefront of scientific knowledge. The Pancreas Center is part of an international network of similar institutes, through which we stay informed about innovations and new developments in the field of pancreatic diseases throughout the world. Our patients are therefore able to benefit right away from the latest therapeutic discoveries.
In collaboration with the National Center for Tumor Diseases (NCT) at the Heidelberg University Hospital, we offer numerous clinical studies related to the treatment of pancreatic tumors, in which the very latest medications are being employed.
The European Pancreas Center
Our center has more than 200 surgical beds available and a new centralized operating suite with the most modern equipment and independent OP management. In addition, ambulatory surgical procedures in all specialty areas can be performed at our day surgical center.
In addition to those patients who come to us directly, we also provide care for patients referred to us from all over the world for Internet and telephone consultation. The number of Internet inquiries and telephone consultations is rising continually: every month we receive about 500 telephone and Internet inquiries, and about 20 percent of the inquiries come from abroad. In total, we provide about 4500 consultations per year.
We specialize in treating:
- Acute pancreatitis
- Chronic pancreatitis
- Pancreatic tumors (carcinoma, neuroendocrine tumors, cystic tumors)
We are deeply committed to providing you with the best possible care and to assuring you of the most pleasant possible stay at our university medical center. Should you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us personally.
Prof. Dr. Markus W. Büchler